snowy field image

snowy field image

Sunday, June 28, 2015

DIY K-Cup Holder


For K-cup storage in our small apartment, we needed something that would not take up shelf or counter space and would make our coffee selection visible.  And also it had to be as cheap as possible.  That automatically ruled out buying one for me.  For some reason little trays that hold plastic cups are very overpriced.  So DIY it is.  I decided to make a rack that would hang on the wall in the kitchen.  A simple flat thin box with holes for the pods.

For this project I chose a sturdy cardboard box from our stack of boxes from Amazon Prime.  The one I used was large enough to fit 4 columns and 8 rows of pods but any size will work.  First I need to determine how big to make the holes.  The top of one of my pods is exactly 2 inches across.  In order to catch the lip of the top and keep the pods from falling into the box, the holes should be a little smaller.  Just to double check I took a used pod and cut the top off where the first lip started.  About 1 and 3/4 of an inch seemed appropriate.  I used graph paper and the used pod to draw a circle on a note card to use to trace on the box.  A new pod fit perfectly in the hole.

Next I marked a grid on the box and use the card circle to trace the rows and columns for where to cut the holes and cut them out with an exacto knife.  I left about 1/4 of an inch between holes so it would be sturdy.  You could paint or cover the box with decorative paper or tape but I chose to leave the cardboard exposed.

Fill with your favorite coffee, and you're done.



No comments:

Post a Comment